Denver, CO




I was visiting a couple friends in Colorado this October. It'd been many years since I last been to the state, and I had never been to Denver before. It was a much cooler city than Albuquerque, and this is definitely not Phoenix weather. The downtown area of the city is very compact, and public transport is used extensively here. The public roads are very narrow, and free parking can be very difficult and out of the way to find. The area was definitely not planned with cars in mind.

Overall, I didn't feel much of a connection to this city. Downtown Denver is a mixed bag of multiple sit-down restaurants and various retail shops that are just a couple blocks away from crowded parks filled with homeless people and drugs on the sidewalk. The concentration of homeless was most apparent near the Capital building and downtown library; it seemed very unfortunate that the situation was this prevalent in the city. A couple blocks north where the shops and restaurants were, reminded me of a more urbanized Scottsdale Quarter area in Phoenix, or the many other more urbanized outdoor shopping malls and areas in the Phoenix metro area, and I didn't find it too particularly notable, but rather comparable to compact localized parts of the valley (but colder). Perhaps there was just something I was missing. I might go back to Colorado sometime soon to explore the other places in the state, but I don't think I'd go back to Denver right away. I think I may stick to the metro area if I find myself back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Central Phoenix

Albuquerque, NM

Scottsdale, AZ